Necho I (672-664 BC)

The hieroglyphic name of Necho I
Necho I, Prince of the Delta city of Sais, was installed as ruler by the Assyrian conqueror Esarhaddon, who was a policy of giving limited agency to those native Egyptian princes whom he could trust. Necho got the best of these and managed power not only in Sais but besides in Memphis; he passed to possess a great kingdom in the southwestern Delta and to follow the pharaonic style in his own title. He credibly began to rule as a local king in Sais in 672 BC and was fixed as ruler by Esarhaddon in 671 BC.
Necho I

As the chief liege of the Assyrians in Egypt, Necho became a prime target for Tanuatamun,  the  nephew  of  King Taharka  of  the 25th  Dynasty.  On Taharkas death, Tanuatamun claimed the kingship of Nubia and of Egypt (664-656 BC), briefly restitution the country from the Assyrians and their lieges. He sailed northward to Thebes and last continued to the Delta and Memphis where he killed Necho I, whom the Assyrians had determined as local ruler. This power was working; Psammetichus I (son of Necho I) conquered control and set himself as king of Egypt and the yield of the Twenty-sixth Dynasty. Necho I left few repositories; his great part was to enable his posterity to gain power and establish themselves as the native rulers of an clear Twenty-sixth Dynasty.

Recent Posts:



·        Maxims of Ani
·        Khamerernebty I
·        Khamerernebty II
·        Maxims of Ptah-hotep
·        Khamet
·        Nebyet
·        Maya
·        Khamsin
·        Maia
·        Akhet

Labels